Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thoughts on Thursday


A thoughtful thought for Thursday.  I am getting worse and worse news everyday about the strike, and now lock out, of the nurses union at Sparrow.  As my mom is a case manager and part of that union at Sparrow, it’s not a good time for our family, especially so close to the holidays.  I have cut myself off from any news sources because they just raise my blood pressure with all of their one sided reporting.  Instead I turned my attention to what makes me feel better at these times, and the answer is family and really good food.  Well, since Kaitlin is coming home either today or tomorrow we have the family part covered, so now we are on to really good food.  I decided to make a really good chocolate fudge pie, which I am calling “Lock Out Pie”.  I’ll admit, I had mildly ulterior motives, I really wanted chocolate and pie sounded good, that and I don’t get to make a pie for Thanksgiving, just potatoes.  So I made two!  Well, I’ve decided to share this deliciously good pie with everyone! 

“Lock Out Pie” aka Delicious Fudge Pie
1 Frozen deep dish pie crust
½ C butter or margarine, softened
¾ C packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 – 12 oz bag of semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 tsp Vanilla
½ C All-Purpose Flour
1 C coarsely chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Partially bake crust 5-7 minutes.

In large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Melt chocolate chips in microwave with a dab of butter.  Add melted chocolate and vanilla; mix well.  Stir in flour and walnuts.

Pour mixture into partially baked crust.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until set.  Cool on cooling rack 1 ½ hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment